Tuesday, March 20, 2018

New Review! Hidden Witness (Book 1) by Posey Parks

Hidden Witness  (Book 1)Hidden Witness by Posey Parks
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3.5 Cranky Stars


I have a love/hate relationship with this book. It ends on a major cliffhanger, and I will be first in line for the next book to find out what happens next because the story most definitely sucked me in. I realized that I had become much more invested in the characters than I had planned to get - and that is a very good thing. I have found myself really rooting for an HEA for this unlikely couple.


So the loves - I love a good mafia story. ✔️ - lots of mafia involvement, though not typical (which I will give it another ✔️ for originality.). I love a good, action packed thriller. Another ✔️for that - there is plenty going on here. ✔️ For cliffhanger that has me climbing the walls wondering what will happen next/how the author can possibly fix the mess we are left with. There have been plenty of cliffies that have left me at the point of simply not caring, but this one is continuing to haunt me even though I have read several other books since. ✔️ Well developed characters with deep back stories. It helps to understand what makes characters the way they are. Sometimes something that seems irrelevant at the time it is introduced can be crucial later on. I understand that completely, and appreciate it more than most when it comes together - but there are areas related to this that I am still on the fence as to their relevance.


The next issue is a bit harder for me to categorize. I generally really like dual POV's to give a fuller picture. Sometimes a third POV for perspective is great. But at 20% we were at 5 different POV's, and 7 or 8 by the end of the book. I can't say that most of them didn't have a purpose, but it's a bit too much to juggle, in my opinion.


Similarly, coincidence can add a lot to a story line, but too many coincidences are simply too much. I also noticed a continuity error or two that bothered me, and the h's schedule didn't seem to fit with her career. Little things, but enough to take me out of the story. The combination of the little things are what are keeping this from being a 5 star read for me.

But I can't deny the allure of the story line or the fact that I want more, because I definitely do, and the ending will haunt me until the next book is released. It is rare for me to feel so wishy-washy about a review, but I am really struggling with this one. Overall, I want to recommend it but I there are enough issues that I can't give it my highest recommendations.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home