Tuesday, January 7, 2020

New Review! Hearts and Thorns (Magnolia Cove #3) by Ella Fields 4 Cranky Stars

Hearts and Thorns (Magnolia Cove, #3)Hearts and Thorns by Ella Fields
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 Cranky Stars


I will admit the first half of this book I wasn’t sure I was going to carry on. It wasn’t so much the subject matter that made me rethink keeping on was a good idea although at times it felt strange it was just the need to know how this all played out. I thoroughly enjoyed the second half though more than the first. I thought when they were teenagers their sex talk was more for an experienced adult than that of a teenager of 17. I also felt at times their relationship was kind of toxic and maybe that was the point to watch them go through all this and to see how they came out of it at the end. It was messy and childish and at times I didn’t like it at all. I’m sure some people will balk at the subject matter because unlike other step brother/sister romances Jackson and Willa grew up together I’m talking diapers and learning to walk together type growing up. Hearts and Thorns isn’t for the people who dislike this troupe, it’s not for people who hate messy borderline hateful relationships, it’s not for the people who want Hallmark Channel type love yet it’s up to you to say what kind of person you are and if this book is for you.


Willa and Jackson are step siblings who were always close. Her mother and his father met when they were both just mere babies of 6 months old. They were inseparable and they had a bond everyone assumed was just siblings being siblings. Their parents were strict and kept a close watch on Willa and Jackson. As they got older, they grew closer if you catch my drift. It became a game to duck and dodge the parental units because in their mind they knew the world would find their relationship wrong on so many levels. When they are found out is when things take an ugly turn. Willa is forced to leave the only home she’s ever known to live with her father and Jackson goes on a self-destructive streak. They try they really do but it gets ugly. This is where part two comes in and we see them as adults and let me say it’s not pretty and they are forced to grow up and face each other and deal with the aftermath. Willa and Jackson have some serious decisions to make going forward and what’s for the greater good.


I know this may be unpopular opinion I almost felt Jackson was abusive in some way to Willa as they were older. The way he talked to her made me cringe at times, yet I wish Willa wasn’t such a pushover. She did stand up for herself in her own way, but man come on girl. They used sex as a weapon it seemed. I was conflicted with this book. Parts I liked parts I wanted to skip. I haven’t read a book that had me on the fence and undecided as this one in a while. I think if you are willing to take a risk then maybe this book will be for you.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home