Thursday, October 20, 2016

New Review! Tyed by L.J. Shen, 3 Cranky Stars

TyedTyed by L.J. Shen
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*** 3 Cranky Stars ***

Awhile back, I picked up LJ Shen’s Sparrow and enjoyed it. It got me out of a book funk and gave me another go-to author to help me escape for a bit. I liked her wit and strong female characters.



I couldn’t wait to dive into this one, but this wasn’t like her earlier work at all. The plot of this story is thin. Like, paper-thin, and it was okay until it wasn’t.



Tyed centers on Blaire, the edgy, less popular and successful twin of a supermodel. She has a lively interior monologue that makes you equal parts amused and frustrated. In her college coursework, she gets given a journalism assignment on MMA. I actually liked that premise.



As a result, Blaire meets the super hot MMA and up and coming star: Tyler Wilder. He’s tattooed. He’s a bad boy. He’s a bit caveman and stalky. He’s a major man whore, but they have chemistry.



Right? So far; so good. Blaire has a dilemma of whether he’s into her for a short time or a long time. He’s definitely into her.



Drama ensues: Blaire’s best friend doesn’t like Ty. The feeling is mutual and as events unfold, the relationship is put under stress.



As an escape book, for the first half it was great. The second half was not so much. Blaire doesn’t turn out to be edgy. She turns out to have as much depth as her best friend’s ‘ironic’ t-shirts.



Overall, this was an okay read. Good escapism if you need it.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home