Tuesday, May 14, 2019

New Review! Curse of Scale by S.D. Reeves 3 Cranky Stars

Curses of ScaleCurses of Scale by S.D. Reeves
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

3 CRANKY STARS


I hate to give bad reviews, but I was so looking forward to reading this story and I was highly disappointed. The premise of the story is good, but the execution is confusing. The author jumps back and forth in time at the beginning, but it took me the whole book to figure that out. I was confused most of the time and very easily distracted. At first, I thought I had misread something, but when I went back a few pages realized it was just not well written.


The story starts with our hero, Callum talking to a voice in his head. He has just stolen something he needs for a magical spell. As he is running from his pursuers, this voice keeps chiding him. The voice is Oberon, a fairy that Callum needs to free from his head to save his wife, Niena. There is talk of dragon curses and time and place shifts that happen so fast, I couldn’t keep up.


Then we jump to a watchtower and guard. The captain is Marley whose granddaughter is Squirrel. Squirrel wants to be a troubadour like her father before her. Her parents are dead, and she lives with her grandparents. She has her father’s lute, but she is only 15 yr., too young to leave her grandparents during this time of war. Finally, her grandfather sends her on a trip with one of his soldiers to a neighboring town to get beer. The town is farther away than she thought, and it is nightfall when they arrive. Into the tavern she goes, against orders and her world changes.
That is where it all got very confusing. We evidently traveled back in time when we met Marley and Squirrel. In the tavern, we jump to another world then back to Squirrel’s world and time. I was lost and confused until the last few pages. Not sure what the ending was because I was just glad I was done with it.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home