Saturday, August 13, 2016

New Review! Legion Lost by KC Finn, 4 Cranky Stars

Legion LostLegion Lost by K.C. Finn
My rating: 4 of 5 stars



**** 4 Cranky Stars ****

This is a little gem of a book. I’d been in a reading funk. Three out of the four books I picked up in the first week of my holidays… didn’t do it for me. Legion Lost was the fourth and the charm. I basically read it from start to finish in one go and am looking forward to the sequel.



The story centers on a girl who lives in the ‘Underground’ with her family. They are the remnants of rebels and survivalists – people who have rejected the New World Order.



As events unfold, however, those in the Underground may have rejected the authority above on the surface, but it doesn’t work the other way around. A betrayal and a raid sets in motion a chain of events, which will change the course of our heroine’s life.



In an unfamiliar world, our heroine makes her way to the Legion – a government organization that prepares teens for military surface (read: training child soldiers). Posing as a boy, Raja, our heroine’s eyes are opened to a big, wide, and often times, scary world.



There is so much to love about this book: It’s unapologetically diverse. It’s set in the United Kingdom. It has Highlanders and a hero with a secret. It has misfits and outcasts, rebels, and horrible antagonists.



Some areas that I thought could be worked on: It was slow to start. I was unconvinced by Raja’s deception i.e. posing as a boy. It didn’t make a lot of sense that a technologically advanced society that scanned Legion recruits wouldn’t have checked gender. Her reluctance to confess her true identity to Stirling became exasperating.



All in all, however, this was a darn good read and I highly recommend it to those in the genre.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home