Saturday, April 23, 2016

New Review! Some Sort of Happy by Melanie Harrow, 2.5 Cranky Stars



** 2.5 Cranky Stars **

This is actually a difficult review to write. I actually liked the main female lead, Skylar. She is funny and kind, even though she's made a fool of herself on national TV and having the worst time of her life.
The author has great comedic timing and I chuckled on more than one occasion.

Where things began to diverge for me is with Sebastian, the main male lead character. Sebastian has OCD. He's a bit anti-social and has more than a few quirks. He has a tragic past and has always crushed on Skylar.

Sebastian's quirks didn't bother me. Nearly everyone I know and like is on some kind of spectrum. What did bother me is... from the first moment we meet him and are placed in his point of view, he does little but obsess over Skylar and give detailed descriptions of 'self-love'. 

The second time we meet him, he's punishing his todger, quite regularly and vigorously, in the shower... thinking of Skylar. I have nothing against 'self-love', it's just, well, I might want to know more about a character than they're a chronic wanker from the first introduction.  

If this had, perhaps, come later on, I wouldn't have felt so squicky. 

I actually began to dread Sebastian's point of view and longed for Skylar's, even though she was a hot mess and given some dubious lines.

This author is funny. I admire that her two main characters aren't standard and are flawed human beings. Some of the secondary characters are wonderful, but I ended this book a little uncomfortable. And, not in a good way.

I will definitely be reading more from this author. I enjoyed her wit and humor. I hope to see more of it next time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home