Friday, June 24, 2016

New Review! Desolate by A.M. Guilliams, 3 Cranky Stars

DesolateDesolate by A.M. Guilliams
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*** 3 Cranky Stars ***

I struggled with this book. I know some said it was emotional and life changing. It was emotional sure, but it didn't alter me in any way. The beginning was really sugary sweet with some sad parts. Let's not get me started on the end.

This is the story of Magdelana and Weston. Mags was told by a carnival fortune teller she would grow alone because everyone around her dies. She was an impressionable 14 year old. She was married to a wonderful man (we are told this a million times) and has a son.

Weston gets a Dear John letter from the mother of his daughter. As a result, he and his daughter move to his hometown. Now here's where things get tricky. Without giving the premise of the book away or the ending, needless to say, Mags and Weston meet.

I struggled with this review because while the book wasn't bad as a whole just so many parts didn't work for me. The husband was sugary sweet and as a couple it was a bit much. Yet, I know why it was done that way. Weston was so perfect, I wanted him to have a flaw. Dirty him up or give him a criminal record or a tattoo.

When I reached the final peak of the story I was mad, but it was more mad because it was unconvincing and didn't resonate with me. I wish it had gone another way, but it was not to be.

All in all, it was a good book with potential.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home