Wednesday, August 10, 2016

New Review! Shattered Faith by Jacqueline M. Sinclair, 3.5 Cranky Stars

Shattered Faith: CarsonShattered Faith: Carson by Jacqueline M. Sinclair
My rating: 3 of 5 stars



*** 3.5 Cranky Stars ***



Carson and Abby are paramedics in a small town in North Carolina. Abby has just become a paramedic, and our story starts on her first night on her own, paired up with Carson, who, while undeniably good looking, has a womanizing reputation, and he runs hot and cold with Abby on their 24 hour shifts together. At least until they start texting each other, and he finally gets her to come out to a retirement party for Randy, a paramedic who has kind of been a father figure to all of them, and plays a pivotal part later in the story.



We find out about the past Abby is running from, and that Carson only has eyes for her. She eventually finds out that a move he made the first day they were out together that seemed rude and sat at the heart of her animosity toward him had been a protective maneuver. Abby's insecurities are prominent throughout the book, as is Carson's dedication to her once the barriers finally come down as she sees that he truly is all in, for better or worse. When "worse" hits, it is major.



I will have to say, and this is the main reasons for the less than 5 star rating, that I had a really hard time connecting with any of these characters, especially before "the worse" comes into play.



When the epilogue came around, I was once again reminded of another thing that had bothered me throughout the book; it almost seems like we are missing huge pieces of things, which left me often confused.



Overall it was a sweet story, and Carson's family is the dream in-law situation. Apparently this is the first book in the series about the Steele family. There were a lot of family members (and quite honestly, because of the disconnect I was feeling through at least the first half of the book, I had a very hard time keeping any of them straight, and even immediately after finishing the book, I cannot tell you how many siblings there were, or how exactly Jonah fit in, or who he "belonged" to, though he was one of my favorite characters.)



There were very few errors, and as I was reading an ARC copy I will review with the assumption they will be caught before final publications. It was a nice change of pace to read one not riddled with misspelling, misuse of words, and punctuation errors. It definitely has potential, though I am not sure I will be rushing to read others in the series. I won't rule out picking at least some of them up sometime in the future.



Recommended for adult romance fans, though there is not an overload of explicit material. For at least the first half of the book I was worried that this was going to be a dominant billionaire book, but, thankfully, it was not. Not bad by any means, and maybe I have been too spoiled by books that blow me away lately, but I can't say this was one.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home