Saturday, April 23, 2016

New Review! Alpha by Jasinda Wilder, 1 Cranky Star



This is not the type of review I want to write. Really. In fact, I thought long and hard about whether I would write it all. 

Alpha is the first book I've read by Jasinda Wilder. She's been recommended to me by various book friends, especially if you want a hot and steamy read.

I got hot and steamy. I didn't get plot. 

I kept reading, hoping it would get better. It didn't.

The work centers around Kyrie, a struggling student who is financially responsible for her family. Her father was killed, leaving the family destitute.

When all looks bleak, Kyrie begins to receive checks in the mail. She banks them. She spends them. She's pretty sure there are strings attached. 

There are. Strings with penises and chauffeurs and squillions of dollars.

And there begins the part where Kyrie pays off her debts...

Throughout this work, the reader is informed Kyrie is smart. This is reinforced with not so subtle prompts and hints. Yet, all evidence points to the contrary. 

Her best friend, the woman of color, does little but shout down the phone. Her dialog consists of things like "damn girl" and "girlfriend" and "hooker." It's okay because Kyrie says this too.

By the end, when the links were revealed between Mr. Big Money Penis Bags and Kyrie, thus posing a moral dilemma for our heroine, I was fatigued. I had a nice cup of tea and re-read Fifty Shades of Grey.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home