Sunday, April 23, 2017

New Review! Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher, 5 Cranky Stars

Thirteen Reasons WhyThirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher
My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I watched the TV series before reading the book. The show was such an eye opener, I had to read the book.



It's not often something moves me and makes me think. Thirteen Reasons Why is a show and a book I haven't been able to get out of my mind.



Hannah Baker, a high school student has committed suicide leaving devastation in her wake. As in all suicides, questions are asked, motivations questions, but Hannah has left thirteen tapes to explain why she took her own life.



The story starts with Clay Jenson, who receives the tapes and is thrown into the world of Hannah from her own point of view.



Issues such as slut-shaming, teen angst, bullying, alienation, and sexual assault are explored. Some of the reasons why Hannah took her life appear petty in isolation, but as a whole there's a snowball effect (as Hannah herself states) that leads to a tragic outcome.



I've read other reviews and it seems to be a book you either love or hate. The show and book gave me the opportunity to open my mind. As a parent I had some conversations that were long overdue.



This is a gritty and at times, uncomfortable read. There are parts that felt melodramatic, but overall, this is a book that I'll never forget.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home