Thursday, September 26, 2019

New Review! Immortal Defiance (Dulcea's Rebellion #1) by Laura Maybrooke 4 Cranky Stars

Immortal Defiance (Dulcea's Rebellion, #1)Immortal Defiance by Laura Maybrooke
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

4 CRANKY STARS


Unfortunately, I can only give this story 4 stars. It is written with flashbacks that had me totally lost most of the time. The author created a really interesting world of elves, vampires, and other fantasy characters. But I had trouble keeping everything in order. The story went from the present back to years before, it was just too much for me. Granted, the chapters that were flashbacks were clearly labeled but if one is engrossed in the storyline it is bothersome.


I don’t wish to give the storyline away, so I’ll sum up the highlights. This is a story about rebellion and betrayal. It starts with the leader of a rebellion being kidnapped. She is Dulcea, the elven queen. Dragged off and threatened with death, she takes the only way out she can find. A mysterious stranger offers to save her and help her. When she finds out who he is, she is intrigued and terrified.


This is where it gets confusing. The rebellion is explained and the events leading up to the kidnapping are explained using those flashback chapters. Sometimes it jumps back 1 or 2 years and other times longer. The rebellion has been going on for 6 years, so I hope you understand why I kept losing my place in the story. I really wish this had been written in a more continuous fashion i.e. start with the start of the rebellion and gradually progress to kidnapping and what happened after. The ending left it open for a sequel but I’m in no hurry to read one.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home