Tuesday, August 2, 2016

New Review! About Writing by Suz deMello, 4 Cranky Stars

About WritingAbout Writing by Suz deMello
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

*** 4 Cranky Stars ***



About Writing is a guide for aspiring writers on how to write a story and turn it into a manuscript ready for submission. It’s full of tips and hints as well as examples on the “how-to” and “what-not-to-do” steps into the world of literature.



I am a fairly new author with only a couple of books under my belt. Honestly speaking if I had read this guide prior to writing and completing my very first book, I would have given up for the sheer fear of not meeting the guidelines discussed in this book. Having said that, now that I have published a couple of books, About Writing is actually a very helpful tool on how to master my craft.



A rather weird and confusing comment, I know, but if I had read this guide two years ago when I was just “playing” at being a writer and putting my ideas down to my word processor, I would have drowned in self-doubt and told myself a million times that I wouldn’t be able to achieve everything Ms deMello was talking about in the this guidebook. Please don’t get me wrong, it is an easy read, well-written and the points raised in the book were very relevant and explained very well. It’s just the amount of work, research and countless hours a writer has to pour into the story being written in order to turn it into a book which is so daunting.



And yes, turning a story inside your head into a readable book is hard work composed of tears, dreams, angst and almost even blood of the writer. Having been able to submit and publish my first book without any guides or such had been such a lucky turn in my life. Writing a second book after that is terrifying now that I know how this world works.



About Writing couldn’t have come at a better time. Thank you so much.



View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home