Wednesday, August 3, 2016

New Review! Trail of the Raven: Haiti (Trail of the Raven, #1) by Chip Davis, 3.5 Cranky Stars

Trail of the Raven: Haiti  (Trail of the Raven, #1)Trail of the Raven: Haiti by Chip Davis
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

3.5 Cranky Stars



"The best way to learn about your ancestors is to put yourself in the same environment they were in. It isn't enough to know what they did. If you really want to know them, you need to learn about what shaped them into who they were."




Let me preface by saying Trail of a Raven’s narrative and characters were colorful, and incredible. I loved them. This story centers around Jack who is adopted by an amazing family member Ana. He wants a better understanding of his heritage so goes in search of the places Ana had once traveled.



The idea that Jack is learning about his heritage is a fabulous and entertaining premise. Having said that, this book is really like two if you ask me: The young boy coming out of a disastrous situation and the one later who has to grow up too quickly. It felt a tad gapped in that fashion, as if I were reading two different people and rushing through his adolescence without addressing the past. I thought the Author could have shown the emotional baggage and drawbacks from being raised as he was. It might have pulled me that much closer.



I think this writer is amazing. The narrative is as perfect as any I’ve ever read. The feelings I felt through this book were many and varied throughout. When Jack was a boy, I was furious for him. When he was a man, I felt as if I traveled alongside.


The only thing I’d complain about is the fact that the work felt semi-disjointed without enough over-arching goals. While the traveling man type of story is enjoyable and new characters along the way are lovely, some readers want to see it all come together a tad more.



I recommend this book for all ages, and hope that we get to see more of Jack!




View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home