Thursday, March 29, 2018

New Review! Who's on First Date? (Love in the Off Season) by JoJo Bartlett 5 Cranky Stars

Who's on First Date? (Love in the Off Season)Who's on First Date? by JoJo Bartlett
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

5 Cranky Stars


I'm the first to admit that sports romances aren't generally my favorite subgenre, but this one might make me rethink my stance on that. Okay, sure, they aren't going to top rockstars, but they might move up the ladder a bit.


Who's on First Date is a riot through and through. It could almost as easily be considered a romcom as a sports romance. From the initial "meet cute", I was laughing. Every single scene with the heroine's best friend was guaranteed to bring somewhere between giggles to full on guffaws. Not that our h, Eden, couldn't bring the chuckles on her own.


Remember the first couple of seasons of Gilmore Girls when Sookie was constantly in some kind of chaotic accident? I loved her character for that because it hit so close to home. Eden is totally someone who could sympathize with why I can't wear white because I am guaranteed to spill something on it. And how I am bound to have an awkward encounter due to clumsiness or simple fate at least every third time I leave the house. This became a standing joke in her budding relationship with baseball star, Bobby.


One of the things I loved about Eden was that while she was a lover of most sports (the more physical peril the better), she barely considered baseball more of a sports than bowling or golf. This led to many of the hilarious moments as Bobby tried to change her mind, or at least humbly accept her opinion.


I cannot write this review without mentioning her cat, Tiny (who I picture as the 30 lb runt of the litter that owned me for 18 years.). He had many great scenes, but one in particular would win him an Oscar if this was a movie. I just can't bring myself to spoil it for you, but I do believe I laughed so hard there were tears involved.


I loved the slow burn, the insecurities on both sides, the action from the various sports, the downsides of celebrity, the ex and daddy drama, the close relationships both H and h had with their brothers and mother's, and so much more. Just a super sweet romance all around with that midwest attitude that is all that I am. Highest recommendations.

View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home