Wednesday, August 3, 2016

New Review! Love Always, Kate (Love Always, #1) by D. Nichole King, 5 Cranky Stars

Love Always, Kate (Love Always, #1)Love Always, Kate by D. Nichole King
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*****5 Cranky Stars*****



I knew this wouldn't be an easy read, but I was very drawn to it regardless, and what an absolutely beautifully written story of cancer, love, and loss.



At age sixteen, Kate is told she is no longer in remission from A.L.L, a form of leukemia she has been fighting since she was eleven.




Much of the book is her diary entries, a process she started with her first round of chemo. This being her third go around, she knows all about what she is in for physically, and this book is a look inside her soul, which is heart wrenchingly realistic. You will feel her hopes and her fears, joys and heartbreak. Her feelings of invisibility and her acceptance are felt as well.



Damian Lowell is eighteen, and troubled.



This handsome son of Kate’s oncologist is forced to volunteer on the pediatric cancer floor because of his outrageous behavior since the death of his mother and older brother in a car accident from two years earlier. In many ways this story is his as much as it is Kate's. I couldn't always understand his behavior, and certainly couldn't condone it for many reasons, but this part of the story is also told in a real and soulful way.




I can't remember when, if ever, a book has made me cry as much as this one did. At times I had to stop for a minute or two because my vision was so clouded by tears that the words were too blurry to read. But in spite of it all, it is a beautiful story. I vow to find the beauty and hope in sunrises, now.


View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home