Wednesday, August 3, 2016

New Review! Nocte (The Nocte Trilogy, #1) by Courtney Cole, 5 Cranky Stars

Nocte (The Nocte Trilogy, #1)Nocte by Courtney Cole
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*****5 Cranky Stars*****





Synopsis:
“Save me and I’ll save you…”

My name is Calla Price. I’m eighteen years old, and I’m one half of a whole. My other half-- my twin brother, my Finn-- is crazy.

I love him. More than life, more than anything. And even though I’m terrified he’ll suck me down with him, no one can save him but me.

I’m doing all I can to stay afloat in a sea of insanity, but I’m drowning more and more each day. So I reach out for a lifeline.

Dare DuBray.

He’s my savior and my anti-Christ. His arms are where I feel safe, where I’m afraid, where I belong, where I’m lost. He will heal me, break me, love me and hate me. He has the power to destroy me.

Maybe that’s ok. Because I can’t seem to save Finn and love Dare without everyone getting hurt.

Why? Because of a secret. A secret I’m so busy trying to figure out, that I never see it coming.

You won’t either.




**********
I have to say this: sometimes, it sucks to be me. I went in with a theory before reading this book and as events unfolded, it was proven.

This is a wonderful book: a psychological thriller, romantic suspense, and a page-turner. The story is told from dual points of view: Calla and her twin brother, Finn, but mainly centers on Calla.




Calla and Finn are social outcasts due to two reasons: they were raised in a funeral home and Finn has schizoaffective disorder. They are surrounded by death: in the bodies that their father prepares for burial to Finn learning a dead language and their own, very personal tragedies.




The two are isolated from the outside: physically by the function and location of their home, as well as socially, by Finn’s illness and the stigma it carries, especially in a small town. When tragedy strikes, Calla and Finn start to become disconnected from one another due to a life-altering secret.




Enter Dare DuBray: love interest, man of mystery, and with secrets of his own. As Calla’s world crumbles, Dare becomes her anchor and safety net, but can she trust him?




I’d highly recommend this book for anyone that enjoys something a bit different. It was a well-executed, engrossing story with excellent pacing, likable characters, and suspense to keep you turning pages well into the night.





View all my reviews

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home